Between payment reform going into effect January 1, the Medicare Advantage Carve-In Proposal, and shoveling two feet of snow off of our sidewalks, 2016 is off to a busy start for the HAN team! If your month has been anything like ours, you probably didn’t have time to catch all the goings-on in Washington. We’ve collected the best bits of information here in one place to keep you updated:
Hospice/MA Carve-In Campaign:
Of course the big push for us this month was fighting the Senate Chronic Care Working Group’s proposal to carve hospice into the Medicare Advantage program. Find out how that went with these snapshots:
- Take Action Now on Behalf of Hospice!
- All States Being Equal, Utah, Oregon, Virginia and Georgia are the Best
- CCWG Recap!
- 10,000+ Emails. Now What?
Save the Date: The 2016 Advocacy Intensive will be held July 18-19th in Washington, DC!
Registration will open in April, so starting thinking now about coming to see us in Washington, DC! For more information, click here.
- Metropolitan Jewish Health System (MJHS) hosted Representative Joseph Crowley at the Muriel and Harold Block Residence in New York City, NY on 1/20/16.
- Delaware Hospice hosted Senator Chris Coons at the Delaware Hospice Center in Milford, DE on 12/23/15.
- Do you want to be featured here? Learn how to host a Member of Congress, and then make sure you tell us about it!
Oh Captain, My Captain: Tony’s Departure
HAN, Working for You:
- We live-tweeted President Obama’s State of the Union Address
- We invited advocates to attend a CMF Webinar with Brad Fitch about how to prepare for advocacy meetings with legislators in Washington, DC. Want to be alerted of the next free webinar offering? Email me, and I will add you to the list!
What the What? “Hospice” movie pits bad grandson against ex-military commando caregiver. Sounds….interesting?
Good Reads: Here are some tidbits from around the web that we found interesting this month:
- KALW Dying to Talk Radio
- We Can be Heroes, Or, How to Die like David Bowie
- NHPCO’s Moments of Life, Made Possible by Hospice Campaign up for Prestigious Award
On the Horizon: With one month under the new payment system under our belt, we’re starting to hear from the field about potential glitches. Rest assured, your trusty NHPCO regulatory team is on it, and will be working with CMS and the MACs to ensure a smooth transition.
Don’t forget to check out the Wednesday night #hpm tweet chats (9pm EST/6pm PST), and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for daily updates and news from and for the hospice and palliative care communities!
If you have any questions, concerns, comments, etc., you can always reach me, Karen, and Sharon at email@example.com!
Thank you all for the hard work you do day in and day out for hospice patients and families around the country.