What My Hospice means is different to each individual and family. For Kelly, it means expressing love through caregiving and seeing her grandparents through their final journeys.

AseraCare Provider Relations Manager and My Hospice Ambassador Kelly Coons writes:

One of the questions I often hear as a Provider Relations Manager is, “Why hospice?” I could name 50 reasons off the top of my head, but in just 2020 alone, I can share with you my personal experiences. 

My grandfather (Pap) was placed on hospice in October 2019 with AseraCare. The hospice care team and his skilled nursing facility had kept me informed the whole time, and eventually on January 27, they told me I should go be with him. I was able to contact our family and friends for their final goodbyes. We were all at peace with his passing. He peacefully and comfortably passed away the morning on January 28, 2020. My family members each grieved in their own way. Few tears were shed, not because we were not sad, but because we knew it was what was best for him. 

On March 10, my grandma (Pap’s wife) went in for a routine gallbladder removal procedure. When the doctors attempted to remove it, they noticed something else: cancer, everywhere. They stopped the procedure due to complications that could now occur. When my grandma woke up from surgery, I was waiting in her room for her. The physician came in and explained her situation. We laid in her hospital bed together and held each other. She told me it was okay because she was ready to be with Pap again. She chose no treatment and to elect hospice.

Kelly’s sister April, her Grandma, Pap, and Kelly at a We Honor Veterans pinning ceremony.

On March 13, I called AseraCare. My grandma had the same hospice team as Pap, the only difference was she lived in her own apartment. She needed someone to be with her at all times. A family member stayed with her the first few days, with others occasionally popping in, but it became too much. I stepped in. I was working full time during the day and spending every evening and night with her, making sure she had medications every 3 hours, turning and positioning, bathing, and more. I became her caregiver. I knew her time was coming to an end. I had family and friends come say their final goodbyes, and on Saturday, March 21, I woke up by my alarm set for her 3:30am medications and she was gone. Again, I did not cry, but I grieved. 

In both situations, I was there when the funeral home came to pick them up. I helped transfer them onto the gurney and place in the bag. Some may see this as morbid, but I found closure in this. I was able to know that when both grandparents left this world, they were mentally prepared, pain free, and had family. My grandparents are together again, one week shy of two months apart. I guess you could say, “Love conquers all.”

We invite you to keep promoting the power of hospice by joining the My Hospice campaign. Please consider sharing this post with your family and friends on Facebook and Twitter, or share your My Hospice story with us.